I am writing to introduce myself as the person responsible for the projects “Books relevant to the history of neuropsychopharmacology: information and discussion” (Project 8). I will be working on this project with Tom Ban and Peter Martin. Our objective is to list suitable books on our website and to ascertain that each book listed is accompanied by information on its “contents” and a statement about the book by the author if alive or by the person who submitted the book for inclusion on our list.
We hope you will be interested in participating in this project by submitting suitable books with the required information for inclusion on our list. We also hope that you will be contributing to the discussion with you comments on the books posted (inhn(at)inhn.org).
I am posting with this Introduction information on Per Bech’s “Clinical Psychometrics” (Wiley and Blackwell, Oxford 2012), and Thomas A. Ban’s “Psychopharmacology” (The Williams & Wilkins Company, Baltimore 1969).
I am looking forward to working with you on this project.
July 11, 2013
- Introduction – Samuel Gershon
- Introduction - Carlos Morra
- Jules Angst, editor: Classification and Prediction of Outcome of Depression (1974)
- George Awad: The Search for a New Psychiatry - On Becoming a Psychiatrist, a Clinical Neuroscientist and Other Fragments of Memory.
- Barry Blackwell’s review of Katherine Eban’s Bottle of Lies. The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom. New York: Harper Collins; 2019.
- Herbert Benson and William Proctor: Relaxation Revolution: The Science and Genetics of Mind Body Healing. A Review by Barry Blackwell.
- Ban’s Conditioning and Psychiatry (1964)
- Ban's Psychopharmacology (1969)
- Ban’s Depression and the Tricyclic Antidepressants
- Thomas A. Ban and Heinz E. Lehmann: Experimental Approaches to Psychiatric Diagnosis
- Ban's Recent Advances in the Biology of Schizophrenia
- Ban & Silvestrini’s Trazodone
- Thomas A. Ban: Nicotinic Acid in the Treatment of Scizophrenias. Canadian Mental Health Association Collaborative Study. Introduction. (1971). Reviewed by Thomas A. Ban
- Ban's Schizophrenia. A Psychopharmacological Approach
- Thomas A. Ban, Barry Blackwell, Samuel Gershon, Peter R. Martin, Gregers Wegener International Network for the History of Neuropsychopharmacology INHN 2013. Reviewed by Peter R. Martin.
- Per Bech: Clinical Psychometrics
- Per Bech: Measurement-based care in mental disorders. Reviewed by Per Bech
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk, reviewed by Barry Blackwell.
- A Triad of Treatments; A Changing Zeitgeist? By Barry Blackwell M.D.
- The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness & Healing in a Toxic Culture by Gabor Mate and Daniel Mate. Review by Barry Blackwell
- Barry Blackwell’s Introduction to Patrick Radden Keefe’s Empire of Pain.
- Christopher M. Palmer’s Brain Energy review by Barry Blackwell.
- Walter A. Brown - Lithium: A Doctor, a Drug, and a Breakthrough. Reviewed by Walter A. Brown
- Daniel J. Carlat. Unhinged. New York, London, Toronto, Sydney Free Press; 2010 Barry Blackwell’s Review
- Lawrence Edelstein, John Smythies and Denis Noble, editors:Epigenetic Information – Processing Mechanism in the Brain (2014) Reviewed by John Smythies
- Edmundo Fischer, Gustavo E. Poch and Ronaldo Ucha Udabe: Psychopharmacology (1964). Reviewed by Carlos Morra
- Friedman RJ, Katz MM, editors. Psychology of Depression. Contemporary Theory and Research. Reviewed by Martin M. Katz
- Samuel Gershon and Baron Shopsin, editors: Lithium Its Role in Psychiatric Research and Treatment
- David Healy, Joanna Le Noury and Julie Wood: Children of the Cure: Missing Data, Lost Lives and Antidepressants. Toronto: Samizdat-Health; 2020. Reviewed by David Healy.
- Hanfried Helmchen’s review (Hanfried Helmchen: The Janusz Face of Psychiatry. Benefits and Risks of Psychiatric Actions. Stuttgart, Kohlhammer, 2017)
- John R. Hubbard and Peter R. Martin, editors. SUBSTANCE Abuse in The Mentally Ill and Physically Disabled
- Jon Jureidini and Leemon B. McHenry: The Illusion of Evidence Based Medicine: Exposing the Crisis of Credibility in Clinical Research. Adelaide: Wakefield Press; 2020. Reviewed by Leemon McHenry.
- Lothar Kalinowsky and Paul Hoch: Shock Treatments and Other Somatic Procedures in Psychiatry (1946) Reviewed by Carlos Morra
- Katz's Depression and Drugs
- Martin M. Katz: Clinical Trials of Antidepressants: How Changing the Model Can Uncover New, More Effective Molecules. Reviewed By Martin M. Katz
- Martin M. Katz, Jonathan O. Cole and Walter C.Barton: The Role of Methodology of Classification in Psychiatry and Psychopathology
- Martin B. Keller’s Clinical Guide to Depression and Bipolar Disorder
- Donald F. Klein and John M. Davis: Diagnosis and Drug Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders
- Donald F. Klein: Psychiatric Case Studies: Treatment, Drugs and Outcome
- Donald F. Klein, Rachel Gittelman, Frederic Quitkin and Arthur Rifkin, editors. Diagnosis and Drug Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders: Adults and Children
- Joseph Knoll: The Theory of Active Reflex
- Joseph Knoll: The Brain and Its Self. A Neurochemical Concept of the Innate and Acquired Drives
- Joseph Knoll: The Future of Mankind. Considerations on the basis of cortical mechanisms responsible for the human society’s birth and development
- Knoll’s How Selegiline Slows Brain Aging
- Heinz E. Lehmann, editor: Non-Tricyclic and Non- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (1982)
- Lehmann and Ban's: The Butyrophenones in Psychiatry
- Lehmann and Ban's: Toxicity and Adverse Reaction Studies with Neuroleptics and Antidepressants (1965)
- Lehmann and Ban’s Pharmacotherapy of Tension and Anxiety
- Peter R. Martin’s information/review on Peter R. Martin, Bennett Alan Weinberg & Bonnie K. Bealer’s Healing Addiction
- Peter R. Martin: Historical Vocabulary of Addiction,Cordoba: INHN Publisher; 2022 (320 pages). Reviewed by Peter R. Martin
- Julio Moizeszowicz: Psychodynamic Psychopharmacology. Neurochemical, Neuropsychiatric and Psychological. (1982). Reviewed by Julio Moizeszowicz
- Julio Moizeszowicz: Psychodynamic Psychopharmacology. Neurochemical, Neuropsychiatric and Psychological. 2nd edition (1988). Reviewed by Carlos Morra
- Julio Moizeszowicz: Psychodynamic Psychopharmacology. Neurochemical, Neuropsychiatric and Psychological. 3rd edition (1994). Reviewed by Carlos Morra
- Julio Moizeszowicz: Psychodynamic Psychopharmacology. Neurochemical, Neuropsychiatric and Psychological. 4th edition (1998). Reviewed by Carlos Morra
- Comment by Hector Warnes on the four editions
- Julio Moizeszowicz and Mirta Moizeszowicz: Psychopharmacology and Freudian Territory Reviewed by Hector Warnes
- Pethö & Ban: DCR Budapest-Nashville
- Rosenberg, Holttum and Gershon’s Pharmacotherapy of Childand Adolescent Psychiatric Disorders
- Rosenberg, Davanzo and Gershon’s Pharmacotherapy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Disorders 2nd Edition
- Rosenberg and Gershon, editors: Pharmacotherapy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Disorders. 3rd Edition
- Janusz Rybakowski: Lithium – The Amazing Drug in Psychiatry. Poznan: Termedia; 2020. (Books).
- Janusz Rybakowski: Lithium therapy- a personal tale of the recent decade
- Janusz Rybakowski: The Faces of Manic-Depressive Illness
- Johan Schioldann: History of the Introduction of Lithium into Medicine and Psychiatry: Birth of Modern Psychopharmacology 1949 - Reviewed by Barry Blackwell
- Janusz Rybakowski’s reply to Hector Warnes’ comment
- Charles Shagass,editor. The Role of Drugs in Community Psychiatry (1971) Reviewed by Carlos Morra
- Edward Shorter, The Rise and Fall of the Age of Psychopharmacology
- Edward Shorter: What Psychiatry Left Out of the DSM-5: Historical Mental Disorders Today. New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2015 (188 pages). Reviewed by Edward Shorter.
- Edward Shorter and Max Fink: The Madness of Fear: A History of Catatonia.(2018) Reviewed by Edward Shorter and Max Fink.
- John Smythies, Lawrence Edelstein and Vilayenur Ramachadran Reviewed by John Smythies
- Robert Whitaker: Anatomyof an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America. Reviewed by Robert H. Belmaker